Thursday, September 2, 2010

Song of the Moment: "The Infection"


"The Infection" by Disturbed found on Asylum

I haven't quite figured out how I feel about the latest Disturbed album, but this song has got me absolutely hooked. It starts off with a riff as driving as it is uninspired (which somehow manages to come off as a good thing) and then breaks into Disturbed's secret weapon: Draiman's ability to croon out one hell of a melodic hook. The gutteral bark is what he's known for, but when he wants to Draiman can really sing. Something else that struck me about this song is that the biggest hook isn't in the chorus, but rather in the verse; that second line of the first stanza, where the vocals drop pitch, inviting the bass note to do the same. This is fairly unusual in radio-friendly fare, but I think this is an example of the reason why Disturbed are still selling out stadiums after a decade of producing music that never strays very far from the mark they set with Stupify, while bands like Godsmack have faltered over the years. And maybe that's why I still buy their albums the day they come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment